How to Conduct a Cognitive Walkthrough
🔗️ IXD Foundation overview of the cognitive walkthrough method. https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/how-to-conduct-a-cognitive-walkthrough
If given a choice – most users prefer to do things to learn a product rather than to read a manual or follow a set of instructions.
Four questions during a cognitive walkthrough:
Blackmon, Polson, et al. in 2002 in their paper “Cognitive walkthrough for the Web”
- Will the user try and achieve the right outcome?
- Will the user notice that the correct action is available to them?
- Will the user associate the correct action with the outcome they expect to achieve?
- If the correct action is performed; will the user see that progress is being made towards their intended outcome?
How cognitive walkthroughs differ from heuristic evaluation.
- Cognitive walkthroughs - goal and task focused
- Heuristic evaluation - focus on entire product